Shared By Lindsay Harold on her Facebook page
Here’s a rather humorous and helpful list of tips for wives from the 1970’s, published in the Dear Abby column. This was mainstream advice back in the day but utterly taboo today. I only came across them because I saw someone, with a rather large internet following and a ministry specifically geared toward Christian married women, saying some of these made her nauseous. That makes no sense as these are very sensible rules of thumb and would help build a happy marriage. Even among the women of the church, the tendrils of feminism have crept in and blinded so many that they grow nauseous at the thought of pleasing their own husbands.
The 10 Commandments for Wives:
1. Defile not thy body neither with excessive foods, tobacco, nor alcohol, that thy days may be long in the house which thy husband provideth for thee.
2. Putteth thy husband before thy mother, thy father, thy daughter, and thy son, for he is thy lifelong companion.
3. Thou shalt not nag.
4. Permit no one to tell thee that thou art having a hard time of it; neither thy mother, thy sister, nor thy neighbor, for the Judge will not hold her guiltless who letteth another disparage her husband.
5. Thou shall not withhold affection from thy husband, for every man loveth to be loved.
6. Forget not the virtue of cleanliness and modest attire.
7. Forgive with grace, for who among us does not need forgiveness?
8. Remember that the frank approval of thy husband is worth more to thee than admiring glances of a hundred strangers.
9. Keep thy home in good order, for out of it cometh the joys of thy old age.
10. Honor the Lord thy God all the days of thy life, and thy children will rise up and call thee blessed.
Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.